I got to thinking about the title of this blog tonight. I'm not sure the title Life 101 is the best fit. Life 101 would imply that I have some sort of insight on what life is about. And that I can use my vast knowledge to enlighten those who visit and read these words. The truth is, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know squat.
I spent a great deal of time pursuing a college education...a Master's Degree in Business Management no less. It cost the company for which I worked a great deal of money. I cannot say that the education has not served me well, but I can say that when I make a list of the things that are important to me, success in business is so far down on the list that is only a few items above keeping the grass cut regularly.
The older I get the more I cherish my family and friends. I look forward to time spent with the people I love. A BBQ at the Green Top with friends, a bowl of cheese potato soup with my mom, a Sunday afternoon playing Monopoly with my nieces and nephews is what I live for.
For any young folks that happens upon this blog, I would encourage you to be mindful of your health. You take it for granted when you're young and when age and neglect begin to take its toll it is very difficult to undo years or poor health habits.
OK, here is a few pieces of Life 101 advice that I do feel is worth sharing:
1. Play hooky every now and then - do something you love to do
2. Write a handwritten letter to a friend
3. Keep the oil and water checked in your car
4. Travel to places you've never been when ever you get the opportunity
5. Take lots of pictures
6. Exercise daily
7. When someone is getting on your last nerve, close your eyes and breathe deeply for a few minutes
8. Leave enough space when you're driving in traffic for people to merge
9. Eat lunch outside whenever the weather permits
10. Drink hot chocolate with marsh mellows when it gets cold outside
11. Be slow to judge and quick to forgive someone
12. Say what you do and do what you say
13. Before you die, find work that you love and do it
14. Always let the people you love know how much they mean to you each time you see or talk to them