Saturday, August 31, 2019

Last night

Jilda and I were at a restaurant last night dining with friends. We hadn't seen them in some time. They are delightful and we were in the moment. 

Our food had arrived and we had just started eating our meal when something disturbing happened at the table behind us and just to the right. The restaurant was bustling and noisy, but we heard a commotion. 

Silverware clattering, chair legs scraping the concrete floor as they were pushed away from the table. A woman started screaming. 

The first thing that jumped into my mind was a fight. But people started hovering below the table. 

The hysterical woman bolted from the table but collapsed just behind me. 

Snatching the phone from my pocket, I dialed 911. Apparently, several other people were calling the number simultaneously because, after multiple rings, I got no answer.

Moments later, paramedics arrived. It was an infant that was having some sort of problem.

We could not tell if it was choking, having a seizure, or what. 

Someone carrying the child out told the hysterical woman that the child was breathing. Responding. They brought the child within a few feet or our table but Jilda and I both stood to give them more room. I'm not sure what happened after that.

Jilda and I both had trouble sleeping last night. She had weird dreams, and I tossed and turned for most of the night.

I've looked on Facebook and local newsfeeds for information about the infant. That it was OK. I saw nothing. 

I'm not one of those rubber-neckers that slows traffic to get a better view of the wreck, but I would like to know the fate of that child.


  1. Oh dear. I do hope this has a happy outcome.

  2. How disturbing, hopefully all is well. Very upsetting to see something like that for sure. Thank goodness for 911 emergency responders!

  3. I wonder if you phoned the restaurant they might have information?

  4. It could have been an allergic reaction as they can be very severe and spontaneous. My grandson had a severe allergy reaction to peanuts and his reaction is instant and very scary. He carries an epipen with him at all time. He just needs to be near peanuts and he gets violently sick. It's life treatning.

    I hope the child is doing well today.
    Enjoy the long weekend.
    Hugs, Julia

  5. Oh- How scary for everyone that was there. I am praying the baby is okay. We had a grandchild choke at a restaurant one time and it was so very scary. After all else failed my husband grabbed her feet,turned her upside down and whacked her on the back. On the 3rd whack a piece of chicken flew out of her mouth and she started crying. The sweetest sound I ever heard.

    Hope you and Jilda have a wonderful weekend.

  6. Curiosity is sometimes JUSTIFIED! Anyone with common sense would want to know the child's condition. I too, hope all turned out well.
    Sherry & jack

  7. It must have been a terrifying experience.

  8. What a scary experience for all involved

  9. When my male oxymoron was a teenage lifeguard, he saved a two year old whose parents weren't watching him. The little guy was taken by helicopter to a children's hospital. It happened to be Labor Day so it was my son's last day of work for the summer. Not a word in the newspaper. I didn't expect praise for my son. He simply did his job. But I wanted to know that the little boy was okay. It was so long ago, and I still wonder about it.



Please consider sharing

Email Signup Form

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required